The Schubert Male Chorus of Port Huron, originally named the Schubert Club, was founded in 1907 by John E. Coulter with fourteen high-school-aged members. The reason for the name “Schubert” is now not known, but the use of composer’s names was a common for musical organizations in that time. From 1908 to 1950 George McComb was the director. Our first public concert was in the Port Huron Elks Temple on March 18, 1913.
In 1950 Robert E. Dierks became director and continued in that role until 1987. Rob Phillips directed from 1987 until 1990 when Matthew V. Jones was hired as the conductor and music director. Mr Jones continued in that role for the next eighteen years. Our current director, Terry Beasley, took over in 2009 as only the sixth director in the over 100 year history of the Chorus, and continues the rich tradition of musical excellence forged by his predecessors.
We believe passionately that support of the arts is crucial to all communities, and so the principal activity of the chorus is performing concerts throughout the Blue Water area, both as a single group and with various other musical organizations. For many years in its early history, the chorus co-produced shows with the American Legion, Exchange Club and the Port Huron Elks Lodge.
The chorus is also the Blue Water area’s goodwill ambassador, performing concerts in Port Huron and other cities throughout the Midwest.